With technology trends in constant flux and IT complexity growing as fast as you can say “Internet of Things,” a telecommunications expense management (TEM) solution is more than just a good idea—it’s a necessity. TEM solutions are designed to reduce expenses, of course, but they can also manage most aspects of enterprise mobility, including inventory, ordering, procurement, support, and fulfillment.
TEM solutions should be on your radar for many reasons, including:
- The business benefits apply to a big chunk of your mobile communications life cycle. These solutions are designed to help enterprises improve business-process efficiencies and get the most out of their telecom infrastructures.
- ROI can be significant. TEM typically saves customers an average of $10–12 per device per month in carrier service costs post invoice optimization.
- They’re becoming a large part of enterprise mobility. According to research and analysis firm MarketsandMarkets, the TEM solutions business will grow from $1.14 billion in 2014 to $3.43 billion by 2019—that’s a compound annual growth rate of 16.1% for the time period.
This TEM growth is fueled by several trends in enterprise mobility:
In a mobile-first world, enterprises embrace BYOD policies for their productivity, revenue, and employee-satisfaction benefits. But in the absence of a comprehensive policy, BYOD can be challenging, as it usually requires infrastructure and operations (I&O) executives to manage multiple platforms, models, and applications in addition to multiple telecom carriers’ device and wireless service plans. A TEM solution addresses these issues with management options for data security, service and device plans, device-usage monitoring, application control, and other policies. Even companies using choose your own device (CYOD) models can appreciate these features.
Employees have begun to take devices and sensitive documents outside the office in droves. With the rise of mobile productivity apps, phones and tablets are no longer for consumption only—employees are creating and storing company data on them, which adds to the risks of device loss or theft. I&O executives must oversee data access and security accordingly. Considering the wide range of most mobile devices in this scenario, and how many elements are not company-controlled (such as telecom carriers’ policies and contracts), the management capabilities of TEM solutions come in handy. They help manage technology and data across devices, systems, and organizations; and they boost security by identifying and cataloguing every network element involved, from circuits and cell phones to hubs and wiring panels. This inventory simplifies management while making it easier to identify weaknesses in your security infrastructure.
With today’s technologies, it’s easy to find out which devices, which applications, and what content your mobile workforce uses. This data feeds into the management capabilities of TEM solutions, which can then help:
- Match employees with the best devices for their work habits.
- Monitor KPIs in real time.
- Improve visibility into carriers and vendors, as well as the efficiency of your mobile communications.
- Track roaming charges and unused or underused devices.
Your telecommunications assets are the lifeblood of your organization, and a TEM solution can help you cut costs, manage multiple contracts, audit invoices for billing errors, boost security, meet compliance standards, and improve visibility into enterprise mobility performance.